Friday, May 12, 2006

Violet?


Yarn on sale is good. Yarn color names can be deceptive. Yesterday the mail brought a nice tidy box filled with yarn. Yarn called violet that's very magenta to my eyes. I like it though and now I need to figure out what to do with it. (Yes- there are two types of yarn there.)

I want to do something with cables... I feel so clever. I figured out traveling cables. Now, I know if I had just been able to read and follow a cable chart I would know this by now. Some part of my brain has to make 100's of mistakes before things sink in. I have made some of the ugliest swatches with messes of stitches all doing things they just don't have a right to do. Things that make you scratch your head as you unravel knitting. Maybe I am discovering a new technique that hasn't turned into a trend yet, but as many times as I have tried fancy cables that combine knit and purl stitches in the cable none have turned out looking like anything you could do anything with. But this morning the knitting gods were smiling on me and it all made sense. It just worked.

Maybe it was because Pee-Wee was otherwise occupied. She's playing artist today. It's fun to watch her. If we have time later I want to pull out the markers and see what she'll do. I love little kid drawings- loops and scribbles that only a mother can love...