Thursday, July 03, 2008

Little yellow hat pattern

As promised...


Here's how I made the little yellow hat:

Cast on an even set of 8 stitches, I cast on 32 for this hat, it's about 8 inches unstretched and since lace has a good amount of give it should fit about a 30-32 weeker.  Gauge for this yarn (Vanna's Choice Baby ) in stockinette stitch is 4sts per inch on size 9 needles.

If you are using dpns or 2 circs, just be sure you have a full set of 8 stitches on each when you divide them up.  I used 2 circs and had 16 stitches on each.

Here's what I did...
Cast on 32 sts, join in the round
begin pattern:
Round 1: Knit 2, yo, ssk, k2tog, yo, knit 2, repeat
Round 2 and 4: knit
Round 3: knit 1, yo, ssk, knit 2, k2tog, yo, knit 1, repeat

Simple as pie, repeat these 4 rounds until the hat is high enough, this one is a little over 5 inches, taller is always better with a baby hat so it stays on easier.

When you get to the decreases simply leave out the yo's before the ssk on the first round, after the k2tog on the next pattern round then continue without them until you have decreased enough times to draw the tail of the yarn through and finish off the hat.

Sorry for the basic instructions, I could have written out the pattern but that would mean I would have to do that and I am just not that organized this week (okay, month, I'll be honest).  This hat could be made much finer with leftover cotton or acrylics in smaller weights.  Or made larger just by increasing the repeats of the pattern.

I am personally used to knitting up much smaller gauge preemie hats, but I think these would be perfect for learning hat construction.  I've been asked to knit with my kids' school this fall and I think we're going to stick with very basic and easy patterns while cranking out preemie hats.  I plan on working out patterns which use basic math to figure out repeats required for resizing and for different gauges so the patterns can be easily converted to everyday knitting use.  Seems like a good way to introduce teenagers to the idea of knitting for others.  You know, provide something useful out of it.  They require a certain number of volunteer hours per semester and if these kids have been going to the school the whole way through, they were introduced to knitting in 3rd and 4th grades so will have some basic skill.  We'll see how it really goes.

I hope everyone in the states has a great long weekend and gets to celebrate the 4th of July in style (whatever style you want that to be).  We're thinking we may run to Natchez to see my brother in law if we get it together.  Even though we've been back in town less than a week?  Yep, running away from home again.  It is summer after all, and the holiday did conveniently fall on a long weekend... and why not?

Happy 4th of July everyone!