Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hurricane Sock Party 2007

Here's my questionaire! I am glad to be part of the Hurricane Sock Party!

1. Repeat after me "no hurricanes, no hurricanes, no hurricanes" . Okay we just had to get that one out of the way first. We needed to created a bit of "good weather karma"! GRIN


2. If your pet(s) wrote a paragraph about you to describe you to us what would they say? (If you have no pets then just pretend you husband or best friend wrote it! This is a 3rd person writing exercise that is always fun.)
No pets, the husband speaks
She's a little fickle and distracted by shiny pretty things. She knits all the time, I steal her socks, I think she knits them a little big just so I can. She's busy but I have no idea doing what. Yarn arrives here from far away places so often I wonder about the UPS man. I question her sanity when she's knitting with mohair (see, I pay attention) in August though.
the kids speak (teenager first)
You are NOT knitting in carpool line...
Oh pretty pretty string! Mommy is the lady attached to the bag of yarn. She takes me to the playground so she can sit on the bench and knit, but she never gets to, I keep her busy. She's become a speed knitter so she can still play with me and keep me from diving off the couch on to my head.


3. What is your favorite hurricane supplies snack?
Chocolate- you had to ask? I think last time I ate 400lbs of the stuff.


4. Do sock patterns normally fit you "as written" or do you usually modify them for size in any way? (other than foot length)
I have thick ankles but usually don't alter patterns, I haven't had a problem yet.


4a. What are your foot measurements, not just shoe size? (Measure the length of your foot from heel to toe, then the ball of your foot. ) heel to toe is 9 3/4", around the ball of the foot is 9" These are loose measurements, I usually knit with negative ease.


5. What one city abroad would you visit and why if money was no object? (and terrorism was non-existant)
That's a hard one. I think I may travel all over the world. I'd like to see India. I think I would go to some ancient ruins in Turkey though. Or St. Petersburg. My next place I am going to is Ireland- one day. Those aren't cities though. oops.


6. Do you wear socks all year round or just during the winter? Do you prefer them tall or short or regular height?
I wear socks much more in the winter than the summer. I make them from 3-5" tall above the heel. I like lace socks and patterns, too.


7. The last time the power was out during hurricane season (or bad weather of any kind) did you knit by lantern or were you lucky enough to knit to the humm of a generator? Or did you knit at all?
I knit by the hum of the generator then the gas was shut off so I relocated. Now I knit by candlelight, or flashlight. I made a pair of socks while watching Katrina blow by- we were where there were hurricane proof windows, that was so neat.


8. Make a wish for your favorite sock yarn that you've already used once. What would it be? ? Dont be shy about listing an exact colorway or two if you'd like.
Hmmm, I like Lorna's Laces a lot, Cherry Tree Hill, and Colinette.


9. What is it about sock knitting that keeps you wanting to knit more and more socks?
I wear them out. The more I have the less often they need darning. And I can stuff a sock in my purse and go.


10. Make a wish for a sock yarn that you are dying to try but haven't bought for yourself yet. (be specific,even colorway if you'd like)
No real wishes, I am kinda dumb when it comes to sock yarn, really, there's SO much out there.


11. What size needles do you knit socks for YOURSELF with the most? Are they circular or bamboo needles? What brand?
I most often use size 3's, sometimes 2's. I knit two socks on two circs, my favorites are addi turbo's but I do like to throw in bamboo dpn's every once in a while. If I am using 1's or 0's I use aluminum needles and knit them one at a time. And they take about a year so I don't do that much.


12. If you could only take 3 yarn related books and one previously knitted project that you love with you when you evacuated what would they be?
Oh shoot me now. I would take Anne Budd's book of sweaters. I would take the perfect summer skirt if I were leaving tonight. The other books? Whatever I was working from at the moment or whatever was at the top of the stack. I lost all my books in Katrina and have replaced most already.


13. What knitting notion do you wish you had that you just keep putting off getting for yourself?
Some good fun stitch markers, a yardage counter for dividing sock yarn into two equal balls instead of working from both ends of a ball, a row counter- the clicky thing.


14. What is your favorite tv show?
These days I love My Name is Earl. I might have withdrawals without the History Channel though, but not war stuff, the archaeology.


15. Do you want a lacey sock or a "solid fabric" sock from your hurricane partner?
I'm liking lace lately. I'd like to try a fun new pattern


16. It's midnight and the power has been off for two days, its hot, and you have a craving for something sweet! What would it be? (This is a FOOD related question ladies! LOL)
Oh food? Well, knowing the power is off two days, I am not wanting anything else. I'd probably be ready for some lemon ice. (Particularly from Brocato's for you New Orleans knitters.)


17. Tell us a story about any of your hurricane weather related experiences.
Well, I remember sitting on the front porch when one came through and I was younger- maybe 10 or so?, it must have just turned out to be a tropical storm. We evacuated when I was pregnant, we didn't evacuate for Cindy, we did for Katrina. And boy am I glad we did. We had 18"-2' of water in the house, a baby, a teenager, and 80+ year old inlaws to worry about. We moved to the mountains of North Carolina through the first school semester then came home to a rental and finally 10 months later a partially finished home. It's almost done now. I would evacuate again, this time planning for a vacation for real. I did leave with all my knitting needles last time!


18. What was the one thing you wish you had remembered to get last year for hurricane supplies that you swore you wouldn't forget this year?
Some art. My husband announced he thought Katrina was serious, he had a bad feeling, and I better take all our papers. So I did. I was glad to have them. Now I keep them in my evacuate plastic bin. I was surprizingly prepared, but I had no shoes except the ones I was wearing. All my favorites were by the front door- and flooded.


19. What color sock would you like to recieve from your sock partner? (if you don't have a pref just say so otherwise give us a hint!)
I so wish I could find a real red yarn. I like pretty much everything except olive greens and browns and mustard yellows. bright is good for me


20. Well surprise, this one isn't a question at all, it's a THANK YOU for filling out this questionnarie and posting it. Also, don't forget to send (in a private email) your snail mail address to Christy for later when the packages are mailed